Hospice Options for a Loved One with ALS
ALS is a debilitating disease that can make everyday tasks impossible to do alone. Navigating an ALS diagnosis can be challenging, but you can find comfort in learning about hospice options as the disease progresses.
When Is a Good Time for Hospice?
It is up to you when to switch to hospice care for a loved one with ALS. But here are some suggestions for a good barometer:
- When the patient can no longer get out of bed.
- When they cannot get dressed, cleaned, and eat on their own.
- When the patient cannot speak to communicate their needs.
Once you have determined it is time to move to hospice care, you can enjoy the benefits.
Benefits of Hospice Care for Loved Ones with ALS
Many families start hospice care for their loved ones late into an ALS diagnosis. You may be able to experience these benefits sooner than you think.
- Health Care from Home: Your loved one can remain in the comfort of home as they are provided with daily assistance.
- Coordinated Care with Family Members: A hospice care team will work hand-in-hand with your family members to find the times needed to visit your home and other times to give you privacy.
- Reprieve for Family Caretakers: When you work with a hospice care team, family members will have the chance to take turns with care rather than having to be at their loved one’s side 100% of the time.
- Assistance with Everyday Tasks: During hospice care, the patient can enjoy the benefits of eating, getting dressed, daily hygiene practices, and more with the assistance of a hospice professional.
Check in with yourself and your loved one to find the right time to call on hospice services. You do not have to wait until you are overwhelmed with caring for your loved one with ALS. Instead, call on our trusted team to take over when you recognize your need for assistance.
Look into hospice care for your loved one to maximize comfort and care. Please reach out to our team at Bonita Springs Healthcare Services for questions about your medical needs.
Download Our Guide:
Caregiver Burnout and How to Avoid It
How do you know if you are experiencing caregiver burnout? Download our free guide and learn the warning signs, how to avoid them, and when to seek assistance.