October 8th Is World Hospice and Palliative Care Day
We have a day to celebrate hospice and palliative care on October 8th. The efforts put forth by medical professionals to create comfort and peace of mind for those going through a debilitating illness are to be celebrated. We stand with our fellow hospice and palliative care providers in recognizing the critical mission of the services.
What Benefits Does Palliative Care Provide?
When you are diagnosed with a life-limiting illness and ready to seek curative treatments, you may be afraid, considering all the pain and side effects that will come. Palliative Care is available to minimize your pain and discomfort. Some benefits include:
- Pain and symptom management during curative treatments
- Constant care and service to patients of all ages and illnesses
- Patient and family support in understanding what comes next in the plan
- Patient prioritization, following their lead on desires and goals
- Better quality of life
- Emphasis on the mind-body-spirit connection
What Benefits Does Hospice Care Provide?
Patients seek hospice care when they have a life-limiting illness and no longer choose curative treatments. They can experience optimized comfort as their body battles the condition. Hospice care provides:
- Companionship to the patients when they are feeling lonely or sad
- Pain management to keep the patient as comfortable as possible
- Extended time with family and loved ones
- Increased quality of life
- Personal care and hygiene
- Reprieve for family caregivers
- Education on what will happen next
How We Can Support Hospice and Palliative Care Efforts
Stay up to date on what is offered with both palliative and hospice care, and reach out if you have a need. You do not have to wait until the final days to seek hospice care. Most families wish they would have started hospice care much earlier than they did.
Learn about your options in dealing with a life-limiting illness and the comfort you can find through palliative care. You deserve to have a full life while undergoing treatment. Palliative care can help you with that.
To learn more about hospice and palliative care, please reach out to our team at Bonita Springs Healthcare Services.
Download Our Guide:
Caregiver Burnout and How to Avoid It
How do you know if you are experiencing caregiver burnout? Download our free guide and learn the warning signs, how to avoid them, and when to seek assistance.